"Just hit the 'MY GALLERY' tab (sidebar) to view all my linked creations in one place!"

Recycled Mixed Media Photo Frame

Hello Friends!
    A Happy New Year 2019 which I hope will be a peaceful, healthy and creative one for us all. I'm back sooner than I thought I would be, with a photoframe I decorated for my sister-in laws picture to mark her first death anniversary using her jewelry. She loved wearing brooches. I just used the floral brooches from her collection and kept to a colour scheme of gold, white and red...her favorite colour.    
 
Here are more pics of the frame in sections...



Suplies used:
a silver photo frame 
8 brooches 
iridescent rhinstones from another brooch
white beads from a necklace
red rhinestones from another brooch
activated charcoal granules from our home water filter
gold spray paint
ice stickles
PVA archival glue
glue gun
This is the original look of the frame and brooches. Some were tarnished, two coloured and some with rhinestones missing or coloured rhinestones. 

The activated charcoal granules were spray painted by tossing them in a foil tray so parts of it stayed black for contrast. It was air dried for a day. 

After breaking off the pins off the brooches, the rhinestones were removed, spray painted, dried and given a new look with iridescent rhinestones from other brooches.The brooches were placed on the original frame and points were marked where the brooch was to be directly glued on the frame. 

A desicion making, while work in progress pic...
The charcoal granules were glued on the frame in sections using a paintbrush. A second layer was added on the first in a similar manner. Next the brooches were glued with a heat gun and finished off with white necklace beads, red rhinestones from another brooch and ice stickles to cover the white bead holes .
I'm entering this project for challenges at...
https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com - Monday-recycle 
http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com - AG
http://happylittlestampers.blogspot.com - mixed media
https://mixitupchallenge.blogspot.com - AG #21
http://moremixedmediachallenge.blogspot.com - AG
Hope my project will be an inspiration for you to recycle and reuse. Have a great day and weekend.
Leanne

8 comments:

Mrs A. said...

What a really lovely idea and a total labour of love. The finished frame is beautiful and classy. A true memento to your SIL. hugs Mrs A.

Lisa said...

Wow, this is so amazing!! What a beautiful tribute to your sister-in-law!! The texture is so fabulous!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

kiwimeskreations said...

What an amazing frame Leanne - love the fact that you used your sister in laws jewellery to transform the frame. A fitting tribute
Blessing
Maxine

Maura said...

Beautiful frame alteration. It will be fun to see it with the photo in it. Love all the texture, and I can see the work you put into this. Thanks so much for sharing with us at SImon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, Maura

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at MIU, good luck!!! Amy DT

Shirley-Anne said...

What a treasure , a lovely keepsake One made with love .

Kelly said...

Beautiful. Amazing how you transformed the charcoal. One of the classiest examples of upcycling I've ever seen.

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the More Mixed Media challenge. Hope to see you again next time.