"Just hit the 'MY GALLERY' tab (sidebar) to view all my linked creations in one place!"

Autumn Leaves

Hello!
    Thanks to all of you for the encouraging comments on my last post for the MFT Superstar Contest. Since the weekend I've been seeing endless posts for the fall coffee lovers blog hop. I was intrigued by everyone's enthusiasm and after visiting 'The Coffee Loving Cardmakers Blog' decided to join the hop myself for the first time with this card I just made.




Here's the background I used for my card, it was inspired by Brushos Crystals. But, I used chemical compounds instead. One of the advantages of working in a school. :)


Here are the die cut and painted leaves, four of which were used in this card.
Supplies used:
Lawn Fawn-Stitched Leaves
                     So Thankful (sentiment)
Methyl Orange C14H14N3NaO3S & Potassium Permanganate KMnO4 (background effect)
watercolour paper
pan watercolours
embossing powder
hemp cord
die cut from RAK (Thanks Shirley-Ann)
    For the background, the watercolour paper was wetted under the tap, placed flat and sprinkled the two chemical compounds. KMnO4 was sprinkled using a sieve to avoid large crystals. It looked gorgeous when first sprinkled, but due to its oxidising properties, it turned brown on drying. The other compound stayed the same. The leaves were die cut using watercolour paper then painted with watercolours. Next, they were folded along the stitched veins using both mountain and valley folds.The excessive watercolouring of the leaves done until a satisfactory look was achieved dulled the paper. So,acrylic lacquer was lightly sprayed to brighten them with a bit of shine, making them appear natural. The sentiment was heat embossed on the die cut frame and a bit of hemp cord was tied around it. The card was put together, inspired by the sketch below by adhering the background paper to the card base followed by the die cut frame, then the leaves.
I'm also entering this card into challenges at...
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge - powder power (chemical compounds & embossing)
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge -anything goes
http://justforfunrubberstamps.blogspot.com - fall
http://yournextstamp.com/blog - colour
http://blog.paperartsy.co.uk - autumn leaves
http://cardsinenvy.blogspot.co.uk - fall
https://modsquadchallenge.blogspot.com - falling leaves
http://thecatspajamasrs.com/TCP - fall colours
http://themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk - leaves
http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.ch - anything goes
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/blog/work-it-wednesday - fall colours
I hope you like my card today. Hope to be back here soon. Have a wonderful day.
Leanne

36 comments:

Michele K. Henderson said...

I love those gorgeous leaves! Very pretty!

Teri said...

Such a pretty card.

cotnob said...

A fabulous card, such a brilliant background and lovely Autumn colours.
Pauline
x

Shelly said...

So pretty!

Fikreta said...

great card!
Fiki

MaryH said...

Oh my, I was certain at first view, this was brusho-s. Interesting to read how you created it, but the chemical compounds are unfamiliar to me. It looks gorgeous though, and quite like the brusho effect. Perfect colors for fall. Loved reading about the travails with the leaves, (I enjoy reading about the 'saves')...and your perservance paid off big time, because the leaves are lovely. A pretty design layout, beautiful card. Well done!! TFS & Hugs

Becca Yahrling said...

Your leaves are delicious! I can see this as a smaller version to make a placecard!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Very beautiful card and love the colors.

Liz said...

Lovely card, beautiful Autumn colours. xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Love this Leanne - who would have thought to use chemicals to make a background - you are very innovative! the leaves are beautiful too.
Blessings
Maxine

Karen B. said...

What a cool, custom background.

Ann said...

Lovely card with pretty leaves.

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Amazing colors. Thanks for the inspiration

maria f. said...

Beautiful and very interesting way to create a Brusho-like BG.

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Beautiful fall colors!

Annie S. said...

Beautiful card and a chemist too! Your background is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at Cards in Envy!

Melissa Craig said...

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

Katie J. said...

Oh how cool! I've never seen someone color their art in such a way, chemical compounds! Your leaves look great, this card is just too cool.

Ceal said...

so fun, love the background

Lisa said...

Such an awesome background... LOVE this!

Arianna Barbara said...

Gorgeous card!!!

Karen Letchworth said...

WOW, this background is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us, and please join us again soon.
Blessings,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Macimbalo said...

Beautiful card, love your leaves and the stunning background! It all goes together perfectly! Thanks so much for playing along with us at  The Mod Squad Challenge Angie, Challenge Host.

Debbie said...

What a gorgeous card! I love your leaves and wonderful BG you created!!
Thanks for playing along this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!
Debbie
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Patti said...

Very striking autumn card. Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Tuesday Morning Sketches :o)

Deborah Frings said...

I so love the way you've used the chemicals to colour your leaves! They look wonderful. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week! Deborah, DT.

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

WOW! I think it's safe to say that you know how to rock those chemicals! Whatever you did with whatever substances you found, it is STUNNING! I love how the colors look so energetic and magical, yet they're in the perfect Fall palette. The leaves look gorgeous, too, and the whole thing came together perfectly. I love your fresh take on a Fall card and am so glad you shared your skills with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Helen F. said...

Oh how pretty!

Tonya said...

Stunning!!!!!!

Brenda said...

I was amazed with your background at first look, but even more amazed when I read about how you created it! This is a beautiful card and I'm so glad you share with us at The Cat's Pajamas this fortnight!

AndrejaL said...

Gorgeous male card :-)) Such a fantastic autumn scene yuo made.
Thank you for joining us at Male Room.
Hugs, Andreja

jenn shurkus said...

soooo festive!! :) Thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

Gail said...

Beautiful card - I am taking a break from crafting right now -our home is for sale - hope your day is going lovely!

Shirley-Anne said...

Hello Leanne .Thank you for your visit and lovely words on my blog post . I have been snowed under by life in general for months now and not blogging regularly .Hopefully this will change in the new year .I have missed blog browsing and commenting . This card you shared in this post is awesome .Love the amazing back ground .You did a wonderful job with the leaves too . Love the Autumn hues .
hugs and best wishes from Shirley-Anne

Rocky said...

Such realistic leaves and so pretty, love the background too. Thank you for joining us at TMR.

suzARTe said...

Lovely card Leanne, the leaves and colours are gorgeous, beautiful.
Thanks so much for sharing your creation at
Anything goes October link-up, Just keep on creating
Susan xx